Saturday, October 24, 2009

A short story

My husband has been laid off for a while now, most of the summer actually and he's been home quite a bit. I've been working and if you know me at all you know how much I enjoy my time at home and some time alone once in a while. I am never bored, let me say that right up front. I always have so many things that I want to do whether it means playing on the computer, studying, reading, exercising, cleaning, laundry whatever. There is always something I want to do and not enough hours in the day to do it.

My husband, his son, and his brother had plans for camp this weekend. Leaving Friday morning, coming home SAturday night. I was scheduled to work 9 to 5 on Friday and noon to 8 on Saturday, so at least I kept thinking I have Friday night to Sat morning to myself. Whatever I wanted, peace and quiet and just some quiet, alone, me time. I could play on the computer, study, workout, etc all without feeling guilty. Mind you, I do these things even when he is home but its different!

Let me tell you I looked forward to that all week. It did not turn out that way. Yesterday afternoon around 2 the phone rang at work and it was a customer who wanted to bring her husband in to look at the furniture she wanted, they couldn't be there before 6. I ended up staying, her husband didn't come with her, her daughter did and I got out of there at 5 minutes to 8. This happens to me more often than not. Our schedule is either Friday or Saturday till 8, the other to 5. Every time I am scheduled out at 5. I end up there late. To make it worse she didn't order the furniture yet, she has to get the "script" from the school. The pay for the furniture through the school, and then they get discount on their tuition.

I surely hope this lady does come back in to make last night all worthwhile. I gave up my night at home alone for her.

No comments: