Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Your Ideal Weight

Ever since starting my studies in fitness and nutrition I have discovered that I keep going back and looking things up. I keep going over the same things trying to drum it into my head. Almost daily I will have a thought about something I have read and want to remember and I go find the correct book and read it and write it down again. This is really helping me to learn. I am going to incorporate that one step further and ask the question here and write the answer.

Yesterday at work, one of the guys I hadn't seen in a while told me he lost 12 pounds. He is doing well and looks good. We discussed what he has been eating and I feel it is way to low. He is around 1000 calories and it is not recommended to go below 1200. In fact, my daily caloric allowance recommendation is 1200 to 1500 for my weight. A great way to determine the amount of daily calories needed is to add a zero to your desired weight. If you want to weigh 150, you should eat approximately 1500 calories a day. Remember calories in equals calories out and you need to create a deficit to lose that weight, either through eating or exercising. The best way is a combination of both.

I thought it may be helpful if he knew how they determine a person's "ideal" weight.

Your ideal weight is determined by your height. Women get 100 pounds for the first 5 ft of height. Add 5 pounds for every additional inch. Met get 105 pounds for the first 5 ft of height and then 5 pounds for every inch thereafter. To create a weight range add or subtract 10%. So a woman, like myself for example who is 5 ft tall, my ideal weight would be 100. Weight range would be between 90 and 110. Let me say here and now that I am a bit over this but working on it. LOL

A man who is 5 feet, 7 inches would have an ideal body weight of 140, with a range of 136 to 144 pounds.

No comments: