Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Little girl

It must have been the summer of 62 or 63. I had to be about 7 or 8, somewhere in there. It is so funny the things we remember years later. It was a hot, sunny day in Ohio. I grew up in the suburbs of Cleveland, in the projects, in Euclid. I remember standing in the back yard, think we still lived on Clark Ave. Wasn't doing much, just standing there by myself, wearing the little pink sundress Aunt Jo had made me. She always made us some really pretty outfits and that little pink sundress was a favorite of mine. I am almost positive Cheri had one identical to it. However, I was maybe 7 at the time so that is a bit fuzzy. The next part isn't however.

I remember a tall, thin man walking down the sidewalk that connected all the backyards of the houses. Think he had a leather jacket slung over a shoulder, and he had dark hair. He was maybe all of 17 or 18 but at the time I sure thought he was old. He spoke to me, the little girl standing there all alone. His words? "Little girl, whatever are you doing?" "Pulling out my eyelashes." was my reply. "Why are you doing that?" My reply, "Because I like to." He told me then "Little girl, someday you are going to be really sorry you did that." He was right. I am still sorry I did that, have been sorry for years and have thought of that guy often throughout the years. We lived in Euclid and in that same area until I was about 15, if I ever saw him again I never knew it and didn't know who he was. I wonder if he ever thought about the little girl standing by the sidewalk in her pretty pink sundress pulling out her eyelashes.

People come and people go in our lives, and they all make an impact. This man made an impact on me and has stayed with me for over 35 years.

No comments: