Sunday, April 19, 2009

Track

I went down to the track at the elementary school this morning to get in one of my favorite workouts. It involves walking quickly around the track 10 times and jogging on two diagonal corners. Sometimes I take time on the benches and do different ab workouts, leaning on the bench works well for plank twists, or sitting on the bench and doing leg raises. This morning was a beautiful morning and I was enjoying the peace and quiet and the music on my ipod. The sun was out and no breeze, quite a calm morning.

A car pulled in and two little kids got out to play at the playground, the track goes around it. Their parents were both quite heavy and they sat on the benches. I couldn't help but think about the choices we make. I kept thinking those parents were so young, and so heavy. I kept wishing they would get up and walk the track or play with the kids, even push them on the swing. Do something! Instead the mom sat and read and the dad was playing video games or texting on a cell phone.

I continued my workout even though I am very self conscious about the jogging, I don't do it well or for long, but it really boosts the calorie burn and I am getting better. I kept thinking about this young family and as I watched, the kids and the parents walked over to the tennis courts carrying a volley ball or beach ball. I kept thinking maybe the parents were going to play, however, they sat back down and watched the kids.

I wanted so badly to go talk to them, to tell them to get up and move about a bit, throw that ball with those kids and enjoy having them there. I didn't, of course. Could you imagine what they would have thought if I had? LOL

I want to be able to help people, I want people to consider me as knowing what I am talking about when it comes to fitness and nutrition. I want to finish this course and want an A in it. I also need to know that not everyone is going to want or appreciate help. I need to know that I cannot help everyone, that it is enough to help ones who ask for it and to not offer my advice where it is not asked for.

No comments: