Tuesday, November 25, 2008

In Memory of Jimmie




I lost another friend to cancer. I'm not really sure you would consider Jimmie a friend, but I did. What constitutes a friend? Probably some people would think you would need to know that person. Let me say I never met Jimmie. I had talked to her only a few times in my life.

Jimmie was my ex husbands girlfriend. I had never met her, she lived in Arizona, I live in Pa. When Mike passed away in April, she couldn't be there, she was in the hospital having chemo and being sick with cancer. I am the one who held the phone up to Mikes ear so she could talk to him when she called, I am the one who called her when he passed and she was still in a different hospital. To me that constitutes a friend.

We had talked a few times since then and had sent each other a text once in a while, not often but like Mothers Day etc. I thought about her yesterday with the upcoming Thanksgiving Holiday and wondered how she was doing. She had told me last time we talked she knew it wouldn't be long. I sent her a quick test tonight and within minutes my phone rang. It was her son answering the text I had sent. Jimmie passed away yesterday afternoon at 3:15.

I cried for this friend, this friend I had never met. I know she is in a better place and know that her and Mike are once again riding Harley's, this time across the sky. There in a better place pain free.

No comments: